Is this a brownie or is it a scone? I’m undecided. I’ll have another one with my cappuccino while I think about it. These chocolate chip brownie scones are crisp on the outside and fudgy on the inside. A bit of a split personality, but a perfect gluten-free, grain-free treat to satisfy your chocolate craving. They are dark, chocolaty, not-too-sweet, and filled with molten chocolate chips when served warm from the oven.
This chocolate chip brownie scone recipe is quick and easy. You can have the batter ready by the time the oven preheats — and they bake in only 15 minutes. I use mini gluten-free chocolate chips in this recipe; they work well with the texture of the scones. They may not be strictly paleo, but sometimes you just need chocolate chips.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Combine dry ingredients in large bowl.
- Mix wet ingredients in separate bowl, then add to dry ingredients and stir to combine. Stir in walnuts in chocolate chips.
- Using a large cookie or ice cream scoop, drop the scones onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Lightly wet hands and gently flatten the tops of the scones. They should be about 1 inch thick.
- Bake 12-15 minutes until the scones are crisp outside and just cooked through. Do not over bake; the scones should be brownie-like inside.