My clean skin care and makeup routine for anti-aging---because what you put on your body is as important to your health as what you put in your body.
Here's why it's so important to make the switch to clean skin care and makeup - the laws governing cosmetics and personal care products in the US are so limited that known carcinogens and other toxic chemicals are legally allowed in beauty products. And we can absorb these chemicals through our skin.
I've spent the last couple of years swapping out all of my toxic beauty products for clean versions. And it's taken a lot of trial and error to find safer products that actually work (the coconut oil and honey moisturizer smelled nice but did nothing for my skin).
Here are the clean skincare and makeup products I'm currently using and loving. I'll keep this page updated as I try new products and add them to my routine.
This post contains affiliate links. Please read my disclosure for more info.
Skin care routine
These are the skin care products that I use listed in the order that I use them. I'm starting with my night routine because that's really where I pamper and treat my skin. I keep my morning routine pretty minimal so I can get ready for the day quickly.
For reference, my skin is on the dry side and I'm over 40 so this is my face skin care routine for dry skin and anti-aging---including all the skin care steps I do (and which ones I skip).
Nighttime skincare routine
- Cleanser - I use a cleansing oil to take off my makeup and cleanse without drying
- Exfoliating cleanser - this enzyme exfoliant gently polishes the skin with Japanese rice bran, silk, and papaya enzymes. It leaves my skin so soft!
- Treatment - I alternate between these treatments at night:
- Alpha Arbutin 2% + HA Serum - I layer this hyaluronic acid serum first for extra hydration and fighting hyperppigmentation.
- Countertime Tripeptide Radiance Serum - this serum uses a natural, plant-based alternative to retinol to visibly increase skin firmness and elasticity while reducing the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
- Moisturizer - the Countertime Supreme Cream is key to maintaining my skin hydration and elasticity. It locks in moisture and helps with firmness, fine lines, wrinkles, and more even skin tone.
- Eye Cream - this super affordable eye cream is my favorite. It has peptides and Vitamin C to fight fine lines, wrinkles & under eye discoloration. And it doesn't irritate my sensitive eyes!
Morning skincare routine
- Cleanser - I skip the cleanser in the morning and just rinse with water, or use the cleansing oil if I've worked out
- Treatment - I've recently started layering these two serums in the morning and my skin has never looked better!
- Moisturizer - with the two serums above, I don't need a seperate moisturizer.
- Sun Protection - I NEVER skip the SPF. It's included in the all-in-one Super Serum Skin Tint (SPF 40).
Looking to clean up your skin care and makeup products? Here's how you can save on clean beauty: Get 10% off your first order at The Detox Market!
I keep my day-to-day makeup routine pretty simple, but here's what's in my makeup bag for everything from an easy 5-minute daytime look to a dressy night out.
- Super Serum Skin Tint- shade BAIKAL (ST9.5)
- Brightening Concealer and Daytime Eye Cream - a two-in-one skincare-infused concealer for brighteneing undereyes! Shade 04
- Spot Concealer Duo – shade Warm
- Translucent Powder with SPF - for reapplying mineral sunscreen throughout the day. I have both the jar and the flow-thru retractible brush in a tube for travel.
- Eyeshadow Palette - I love nudes and neutrals for every day and smoky eye makeup looks as well.
- Volumizing Brow Gel - I'm obsessed with this tinted brow gel that helps promotes hair growth! Shade Medium Brown
- Gel Eyeliner Pencil - shade Dusk
- Mascara - love this affordable clean mascara
- All Natural Bronzer - shade Malibu
- Powder Blush
- Lip Gloss – to wear alone or layered over another color.
- Liquid Matte Lipstick – for color that stays on all day and doesn't budge! I have Sugarbear, Cupcake and Ellijay.
Bath & Body
For bath and body I use just a few products:
- Body bar - this drugstore moisturizing bar is rated 1 by EWG
- Moisturizer - I use this super hydrating lotion all over. It's the best one I've found that keeps my dry skin moisturized for 24 hours
- DIY hand soap - my favorite quick & easy hand soap that I've been making for years!
- Sunscreen - this sunscreen lotion has the best consistency of any mineral sunscreen I've tried. It goes on like a lotion, is easy to rub in and don't lease a white cast to your skin!
- Deodorant - the best natural deodorant I've found that truly works! It comes in 7 scents - I use the charcoal version.
I was so excited to find this shampoo and conditioner. I tried so many non-toxic products that were killing my hair. It was dried out and not nearly as soft as when I was using conventional salon products. This shampoo and conditioner work on my fine color-treated hair. It leaves my hair soft, smooth, shiny, and healthy - and not flat!
- Color-safe shampoo that does not dry out my hair
- Conditioner that adds shine, smooths, and reduces frizz (even my stylist commented on how shiny my hair is now!)
- Anit-frizz curl styler or this volumizing lotion for blow drying
- Argon oil - I use a tiny bit of this just on the ends for extra moisture
Ready to clean up your skin care and makeup? Get 10% off your first order at The Detox Market!