With just a few ingredients, this easy crock pot chicken soup recipe tastes like comfort food. It's the perfect bowl of soup to warm you up, get you back on track, and make you feel better. And this clean eating recipe is keto, paleo, Whole30, gluten-free, and dairy-free.
This is comfort food, pure and simple. I've been fighting a winter cold, and this healthy crock pot chicken soup is just about the only thing I've cooked this week. With only a few ingredients—chicken, veggies, and herbs—this soup is a warm, satisfying meal.
This post includes affiliate links for your convenience. Please read my disclosure for more info.
Easy slow cooker chicken soup
One of the things I love about this simple soup is that it is so quick and easy to put together. Just add everything to the crock pot and walk away. The slow cooker does all the work—it's perfect when you don't have the time (or the energy) to do anything else.
Using chicken thighs and chicken breasts with the bone in provide nourishing gelatin to the broth during the slow cooking. You can see this when the leftovers thicken up in the refrigerator. That's the magic of this simple slow cooker chicken soup.
This soup takes just a few healthy ingredients. Here's what you'll need.
- bone-in, skin-on chicken breasts and thighs
- apple cider vinegar
- herbs de Provence (or a mix of herbs like thyme, parsley, rosemary, oregano or bay leaf)
- sea salt and black pepper
How to make it
It couldn't be simpler to make this homemade chicken soup. It's basically a dump recipe, meaning you don't need to brown or pre-cook anything before it goes in the slow cooker.
- Start with your vegetables and just chop and drop the onion, celery, and carrots in the crock pot. Then stir in your herbs de Provence (see how to make my simple homemade version here) and a little apple cider vinegar.
- Then layer your chicken breast and thighs over the vegetables. Be sure to use bone-in, skin-on chicken for extra richness and flavor.
- Lastly, season with salt and pepper and add water. Then let the slow cooker work its magic.
- After it has slow-cooked, remove and shred the chicken and add the shredded chicken back into the soup.
This soup is chock full of chicken and has a light broth. If you want a richer broth, you can always substitute low sodium chicken broth or vegetable stock for some of the water.
And if you want to dress it up, serve it over cauliflower rice for an easy chicken and rice soup. Or add spiralized zucchini pasta before serving for a slow cooker chicken noodle soup. Either way, this classic chicken soup is a great winter meal.
This recipe is also great for meal prep. Store the finished soup in an airtight container in the fridge or freeze in single servings in freezer safe glass bowls or silicone freezer bags. (The reusable bags will freeze flat so they take up less room.)
So try this slow cooker chicken soup for an easy comforting meal (or an old-school cold remedy). I've even had it for breakfast with an almond flour biscuit and my favorite mint tea. Whenever you need a hug in a bowl, this soup will warm your heart and soul.
And for more healthy slow cooker recipes, check out these 30 paleo crock pot recipes.
Crock Pot Chicken Soup Recipe
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 3 celery stalks diced
- 3 carrots diced
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon herbs de Provence or several sprigs fresh herbs
- 2 organic chicken breasts bone-in, skin-on
- 2 organic chicken thighs bone-in, skin-on
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 3-4 cups filtered water
- Layer all ingredients in crock pot in order listed, making sure chicken is bone side down on top of vegetables. Add enough water to cover vegetables and come half way up chicken, between 3 and 4 cups.
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- Remove chicken and let cool slightly. Remove skin and bones. Shred chicken meat and add back to soup in crock pot. Adjust seasonings, reheat, and serve.