This quick paleo frittata recipe combines sausage and butternut squash for an easy breakfast.
Sausage and butternut squash frittata is a perfect low carb paleo breakfast (or lunch or dinner). Frittatas are one of my go-to quick and easy meals. They're a great way to use up whatever you happen to have in the refrigerator. This one uses roasted butternut squash and breakfast sausage. It's a fantastic combination.
Low carb keto paleo frittata
What makes this frittata low carb, keto and paleo-friendly? Not using two of the most common frittata ingredients—potatoes and cheese. Most of the time if you see a frittata on a restaurant menu it's going to have both of these ingredients. White potatoes are high in carbs and have a higher glycemic index than table sugar. Cheese can be problematic if you have a dairy intolerance and is not included on a paleo diet. This recipe makes a delicious frittata without either of those ingredients.
The key to a great frittata is making sure each of your ingredients packs a lot of flavor. Just about any kind of clean sausage works, but I like to make my own quick sausage with just a few added spices. And I love using leftover roasted vegetables. Roasted vegetables have a wonderful caramelized flavor and natural sweetness that complement the sausage. Add in some onions, peppers, eggs, and herbs, and you've got an easy one-pan meal.
You may not think of using butternut squash for a keto frittata, but this recipe uses just a small amount for flavor. And it's a great stand in for the white potatoes. Even with a little bit of onions and sweet red pepper this frittata comes in at just 6g net carbs per serving. It's perfect when you're craving something with hearty fall flavors.
This recipe makes two generous servings, but you could easily double it if you have a larger skillet. Either way, this paleo sausage and butternut squash frittata is a winner.
How to make Sausage Butternut Squash Frittata
Sausage and Butternut Squash Frittata
- 1 tablespoon bacon fat duck fat or fat of choice
- 3 ounces cooked sausage chopped or crumbled
- 1/4 cup onion diced
- 1/4 cup red pepper diced
- 1/2 cup butternut squash cubed and roasted
- 3 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons mixed fresh herbs or 1/2 teaspoon dried
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat broiler.
- Beat eggs, salt and pepper and herbs until well-combined.
- Add fat to 10-inch oven-proof skillet and sauté onions and peppers until soft. Add sausage and squash and cook until heated through. Pour eggs over filling and cook until edges start to set.
- Put pan in oven and broil until frittata is puffed and brown on top, 3-5 minutes.