Using the egg setting on the Instant Pot is the easiest way to make hard-boiled eggs perfectly every time. Here's how to use the egg cooker function on the Instant Pot—it's so simple you'll never go back to using the stovetop!
Hard-boiled eggs are a perfect snack when you're eating low carb, paleo, keto, or Whole30. They're easy to pack for healthy lunches or grab-and-go snacks. And a quick protein to add to a salad for lunch, or a veggie bowl for breakfast. They make bite-size appetizers as all kinds of deviled eggs. And you can always make them into egg salad using homemade mayo.
For something so simple, it can sometimes be a challenge to cook or peel a perfect hard-boiled egg. Well, since I've been using my Instant Pot to cook eggs they come out perfect every time—and it's so easy I've been making them a lot more often!
While hard boiling eggs in your Instant Pot doesn't necessarily save time, it is the easiest way to hard boil eggs. Once you get the process down. It really is as simple as hitting the egg button and taking them out when the timer goes off. And the best part is the eggs peel perfectly. No more struggling to remove the shell or losing part of the whites when you try to peel them!
Pressure cooker eggs
So technically using an electric pressure cooker is steaming the eggs not boiling them. You only need to add a cup of water to the pot, rather than completely covering the eggs with water as you would when boiling them on the stove. Pressure cooking the eggs is what makes them super easy to peel. And with this method, you won't get a green ring around the yolk. You'll have perfect hard boiled eggs every time!
The newer Instant Pot models (Ultra, Duo Plus, and Lux) have egg programs that make hard boiling eggs so much easier. I have the Ultra and it is so easy to use as an Instant Pot egg cooker.
As you can see in the photo above, one dozen large eggs will fit in a single layer in the 6-quart Instant Pot insert. Just arrange the eggs on the trivet that came with your Instant Pot. If you want to do two layers or hold the eggs vertically while cooking to center the yolks, you can use a stackable egg rack.
Here are the exact settings I use to make hard-boiled eggs using the Egg function on my Instant Pot Ultra:
How to use the Instant Pot egg setting
- Insert a steamer rack or trivet into the inner pot.
- Add 1 cup of cold water.
- Arrange 12 large eggs on the rack.
- Close and lock the lid. (If you have a Lux or Duo Plus, set the valve to sealing. The Instant Pot Ultra will set itself automatically when you close the lid.)
- Set the program to Egg. Set the time to 5 minutes (00:05) and set the pressure to low. Turn off delay and keep warm. Push start.
- Fill a large bowl with ice and water to make an ice bath.
- When the timer goes off, press the vent button to release the pressure.
- Use a slotted spoon or tongs to place the eggs in the ice bath to stop the cooking.
Tips for hard cooking eggs
There are a few things that will affect how hard or soft your eggs turn out:
- what size eggs you use
- how long you cook them (minutes set for cook time)
- whether you use low pressure or high pressure
- whether you use a quick release or natural release
- whether you use an ice bath to stop the cooking
Try the recommended method first, then adjust any of the things in the above list to get softer or firmer eggs. You may need to test this a few times to get the eggs just the way you like them. Once you find your perfect settings, it really is as simple as just adding the water and eggs and pushing the egg button. You'll have your perfect eggs every time!
More easy Instant Pot recipes
- Instant Pot Spaghetti Squash
- The Easiest Instant Pot Pulled Pork
- Instant Pot Frozen Chicken Thighs
- Easy Instant Pot Ribs
- Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup
- How To Cook Instant Pot Sweet Potatoes
- How To Cook Butternut Squash In Instant Pot
Instant Pot Hard Boiled Eggs
- 1 cup water
- 12 large eggs
- Place steamer rack or trivet in the cooking pot. Add water and place eggs on the rack.
- Set the program to Egg. Set time to 5 minutes and set pressure to low. Press start.
- When cooking is done, press button to quick release pressure.
- Remove eggs from pot and place in ice water bath to cool.
What's your favorite Instant Pot hack? Share in the comments below!