Grilled eggplant, roasted red pepper, and grill-roasted garlic combine in this Italian inspired dip.
Summer is my favorite time of year. We spend a lot of time at the lake. And easy recipes like this grilled eggplant and roasted red pepper dip are perfect for relaxed weekends. All of the cooking can be done on the grill so you don't even have to go inside.
To make it even easier, you can grill the eggplant and roast the garlic ahead of time. I put the eggplant and garlic on one side of the grill while I was grilling burgers for lunch on the other side.
This dip highlights the flavors of roasted red peppers, eggplant, garlic, olive oil and basil. Once the eggplant and garlic are cooked, it takes just a few minutes to stir together this spread. This post includes some affiliate links for your convenience. See our full disclosure statement here.
Grilled eggplant and roasted red pepper dip is an easy summer appetizer that works for family get-togethers or backyard barbecues. It's gluten-free, grain-free, dairy-free, paleo, and vegan-friendly.
- 1 large eggplant
- 1 head garlic
- ½ cup diced roasted red peppers
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil, plus more for garnish
- sea salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste
- Preheat grill to 400 degrees.
- Slice top off of garlic, drizzle with olive oil, and sprinkle with sea salt. Wrap in foil and place on grill over indirect heat. Roast until garlic is soft and caramelized, 30 - 45 minutes.
- Place eggplant on grill and roast with lid closed, turning occasionally, until eggplant is soft, 30 - 45 minutes.
- Cut eggplant in half and place in colander to drain and cool. Set garlic aside to cool.
- Peel and dice eggplant. Mash 4 cloves of roasted garlic. Combine eggplant, mashed garlic, peppers, 3 tablespoons olive oil, lemon juice, basil, salt, and pepper. Taste and adjust seasonings.
- Garnish with an extra drizzle of olive and fresh basil.