This easy paleo gravy recipe delivers that traditional gravy flavor without gluten, grains, or flour of any kind—and it's keto and Whole30 friendly!
Over the years, I have tried many, many paleo Thanksgiving gravy recipes. I think this easy paleo gravy recipe is the best one. It's quick to put together, and it uses a combination of pureed vegetables, pan drippings and fresh herbs to get that traditional Thanksgiving gravy flavor.
The secret ingredient in this gravy is cauliflower. The cauliflower stands in for the flour that is used in a traditional roux based gravy, and makes the gravy thick and creamy. And you can make this easy paleo gravy while the turkey is resting, just like you would with a traditional gravy. Or make it ahead and add the pan drippings when you reheat the gravy.
How to make easy paleo gravy
An easy flourless gravy that delivers that traditional gravy flavor. It's thickened with pureed cauliflower but you can't taste it!
- 2 tablespoons turkey fat from pan drippings or ghee
- 1/2 cup chopped onions
- 2 cups chopped cauliflower
- pan drippings
- 1-2 cups chicken or turkey stock
- several sprigs fresh thyme or other herbs
- sea salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
- Heat fat over medium heat in sauce pan. Add onions and cook until onions start to brown. Stir in cauliflower and thyme sprigs.
- Measure pan drippings and add enough stock to equal 2 cups of liquid. Add pan drippings/stock mixture to pan with vegetables. Simmer until cauliflower is fork tender, about 10 minutes. Remove herb stems.
- Carefully transfer mixture to Vitamix. Blend on high until smooth and creamy.
- Return gravy to pan to reheat. Add more stock to thin to desired consistency, if needed. Season with salt and pepper to taste.