This easy healthy gravy recipe delivers that traditional gravy flavor without gluten, grains, or flour of any kind—and it's keto, low carb, gluten-free, paleo, and Whole30 compliant!
Over the years, I have tried many, many different Thanksgiving gravy recipes. I think this easy turkey gravy recipe is the best one. It's quick to put together, and it uses a combination of pureed vegetables, pan drippings, and fresh herbs to get that traditional Thanksgiving gravy flavor.
Flourless paleo gravy
The secret ingredient in this gravy is cauliflower. The cauliflower stands in for the flour that is used in a traditional roux based turkey gravy and makes the gravy thick and creamy.
And you can make this easy paleo gravy while the turkey is resting, just like you would with a traditional gravy. Or make it ahead and add the pan drippings when you reheat the gravy.
Because this gravy is made with nothing but pan drippings, stock and vegetables as the thickener it's keto, low carb, and Whole30. And without the traditional gravy ingredients, it's gluten-free, grain-free and dairy-free so most everyone at your Thanksgiving table can enjoy it. (You can even make a vegan version by swapping out the pan drippings for olive oil and using vegetable stock.)
Here's what you'll need
- turkey pan drippings, ghee, or grass-fed butter
- chicken stock, turkey stock or bone broth
- sea salt and black pepper
How to make it
Sautee the onions in a medium saucepan until they start to brown. Stir in the cauliflower and herbs. Add the turkey drippings and stock, and simmer until the cauliflower is tender.
Carefully pour the mixture into a high power blender and blend on high speed until smooth and creamy.
Return the gravy to pan to reheat. Whisk in more turkey or chicken broth to thin the gravy, if needed. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Variations on keto gravy
This low carb gravy recipe makes a great base for different gravy variations. Try it with these simple additions:
- brown and crumble breakfast sausage for a sausage gravy. Use the fat from cooking the sausage as the pan drippings and stir the cooked sausage into the gravy after you puree it
- sautee thinly sliced mushrooms and stir them into the gravy after blending for a mushroom gravy
- add a splash of cognac for extra richness
This easy paleo gravy is perfect over my favorite mashed potato swap for the holidays---roasted garlic cauliflower celery root mash. Try this gravy over roast turkey and stuffing and you'll never miss the flour! This post contains some affiliate links, you can read my full disclosure here.
Easy Paleo Gravy Recipe
- Heat fat over medium heat in sauce pan. Add onions and cook until onions start to brown. Stir in cauliflower and thyme sprigs.
- Measure pan drippings and add enough stock to equal 2 cups of liquid. Add pan drippings/stock mixture to pan with vegetables. Simmer until cauliflower is fork tender, about 10 minutes. Remove herb stems.
- Carefully transfer mixture to Vitamix. Blend on high until smooth and creamy.
- Return gravy to pan to reheat. Add more stock to thin to desired consistency, if needed. Season with salt and pepper to taste.