An easy roasted carrots recipe that works for busy weeknights or holiday dinners. And it's gluten-free, dairy-free, paleo, vegan and Whole30-friendly.
This dish is so simple it hardly needs a recipe. Roasting is one of my favorite ways to cook vegetables, and it works particularly well with carrots. Roasting them brings out the natural sweetness of the carrots. With just a few ingredients you have a quick, healthy side dish.
We had them this weekend with another one of my no-fuss, let-the-oven-do-all-the-work favorites---lemon garlic roast chicken. So easy! And we have leftovers for during the week. Making enough for leftovers is the best way to meal prep!
Easy roasted carrots recipe
For weeknights, or when I'm pressed for time, I love these roasted carrots plain and simple with just a little coconut oil, sea salt, and cracked pepper. You can even use baby cut carrots to save time.
Here's how easy it is to roast carrots:
- Toss the carrots with melted coconut oil. Sprinkle them with sea salt and cracked pepper.
- Place them on a baking sheet and roast them in a 400-degree oven for about 20 minutes---until they start to caramelize and become perfect little gems.
That's it! As with roasting any vegetables, you can use a higher or lower oven temperature if you're cooking something else at the same time. Just adjust the cooking time (more time at a lower temperature or less time at a higher temperature).
And you can always substitute your favorite cooking fat for the coconut oil. I love the flavor the coconut oil adds to the carrots, but you could use avocado oil, ghee, duck fat or even bacon fat.
Simple ways to dress up roasted carrots
These roasted carrots are deliciously easy for busy weeknights---or they can be dressed up for special occasions. Adding some festive flavors or garnish makes them an easy side dish for a holiday meal. Roasted carrots pair perfectly with turkey, roast beef, or ham.
- Try drizzling roasted with balsamic dressing before serving.
- Garnish with a squeeze of lemon and fresh herbs (I like thyme and parsley).
- Toss with fresh orange juice and zest, and sprinkle with crushed pistachios.
The possibilities are endless. Once you try it, this easy roasted carrots recipe will become a staple in your house too.
This post includes affiliate links, you can read my full disclosure here.
More healthy side dishes
All of these easy side dish recipes are gluten-free, dairy-free, paleo, and vegan.
- How to Make Cauliflower Rice
- Crock Pot Butternut Squash
- Easy Tomato Cucumber Salad
- Zucchini Pasta Pesto
Easy Roasted Carrots
- 1 pound carrots peeled and cut into 1-½ inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil melted
- sea salt to taste
- fresh ground pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Toss carrots with coconut oil. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Roast carrots on rimmed baking sheet for 20 minutes, or until carrots are tender and starting to caramelize.
Leave a Reply