This quick and easy tomato cucumber salad is the perfect side for summer grilling.
This is my all-time favorite summer salad. It's easy to put together and highlights fresh homegrown tomatoes, cucumbers and herbs. With a simple red wine vinegar and olive oil dressing, it comes together in just a few minutes. Tomato cucumber salad is my go-to for a barbecue or picnic.
This salad is so versatile. It's easy to double or triple the recipe for a crowd and always gets rave reviews. You can use whatever fresh herbs you have — basil, mint, parsley or even cilantro. I used basil, but half basil and half mint is another favorite combination.
The key to this salad is letting the onions and cucumbers sit in the vinegar for a few minutes before adding the rest of the ingredients. This takes the edge off the raw onions and adds a nice tangy kick to the cucumbers. However you make it, this easy tomato cucumber salad is the perfect taste of summer. And it's naturally paleo, gluten-free, and grain-free.
Easy Tomato Cucumber Salad
- ½ purple onion thinly sliced
- 2 cucumbers peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 4 large tomatoes
- ¼ cup good olive oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- coarse sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Add onion and cucumber to large bowl and toss with vinegar. Let sit while you prepare the rest of the ingredients.
- Cut tomatoes into thin wedges and add to bowl with cucumbers and onions. Add olive oil, basil, salt and pepper and toss.