I love soup. There’s nothing better than great, big pot of soup simmering away on a cold day. It makes the house smell wonderful. It warms your soul.
But some days I don’t have time for a long-cooking soup. This is one of my favorite quick and easy soup recipes – creamy paleo broccoli soup in just 15 minutes using 5 pantry ingredients. The recipe is deceptively simple, but it makes a rich and creamy broccoli soup with a hint of garlic. The ghee adds a buttery flavor reminiscent of traditional cream soups. And blending it in the Vitamix makes it velvety.
If you are looking for a completely dairy-free version of this paleo broccoli soup, you can easily swap out the ghee. I included the ghee mostly for flavor, so be sure to substitute with a fat or oil that will enhance the flavor of the broccoli. Coconut oil, bacon fat or flavored oil would all be good. And a drizzle of flavored oil also makes a great garnish.
- 1 16-ounce bag plain frozen broccoli
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 3 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon ghee or fat of choice
- salt & pepper to taste
- Bring broccoli, garlic and chicken stock to a boil over medium-high heat. Cover, reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes.
- Carefully transfer to Vitamix and puree until smooth (or puree with immersion blender).
- Add ghee, salt & pepper and blend to combine.