A gluten-free stuffing that’s a paleo spin on traditional cornbread dressing. This paleo cornbread stuffing recipe is grain-free, but full of traditional Thanksgiving holiday flavors.
This stuffing is based on the traditional cornbread dressing I’ve made for years. The hint of sweetness and spice with the vegetables, herbs, and pecans is a family favorite. It’s not Thanksgiving in my house unless we have cornbread dressing. This version uses my gluten-free, grain-free (no corn) cornbread recipe.
I always cook the stuffing in a casserole dish, which technically makes it a dressing. But I find it so much easier to assemble the dressing after I put the turkey in the oven. This really speeds up my prep time on Thanksgiving Day.
While the recipe is not difficult, it is a bit time consuming. I bake the cornbread the day before, and let it sit out overnight to dry out. Enlisting help chopping the vegetables also makes the prep quicker. And holidays are all about spending time with family and friends, hanging out in the kitchen.
Serve this gluten-free stuffing with easy paleo gravy and a side of paleo cranberry sauce for a traditional Thanksgiving dinner. This post contains some affiliate links, you can read my full disclosure here.
- 8 cups paleo cornbread, cubed
- ¼ cup organic ghee
- 1 medium sweet onion, chopped
- 3 ribs celery, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1 bunch green onion, chopped
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- ¾ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon cracked pepper
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 2 eggs, beaten
- ¾ cup chicken stock
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Spread cubed corn bread on baking sheet and toast 10-15 minutes, until lightly browned. Set aside to cool. Increase oven temperature to 350 degrees.
- Melt ghee in large skillet over medium heat. Saute onions, celery, green pepper, and green onion until soft.
- Combine cornbread, cooked vegetable mixture, pecans, salt, pepper, cayenne pepper, parsley, and thyme in large bowl.
- Fold eggs into cornbread mixture. Add chicken stock, a little at a time until cornbread is evenly moistened but not soggy.
- Place stuffing in greased baking dish. Cover with foil and bake 30-40 minutes at 350 degrees.