This pistachio chocolate chip coconut ice cream is a perfect summer treat. I was inspired to create a dairy-free, egg-free and refined sugar-free version of a family favorite recipe — substituting coconut milk, cashew milk and honey for the traditional dairy and sugar. The addition of coconut milk takes it over the top. It’s a great combination with the pistachios and chocolate chips.
The key to getting a smooth and creamy pistachio ice cream base is to puree the pistachios with the cashew and coconut milks. I use a Vitamix for this and puree it on high for two minutes. This creates a really creamy texture. It’s also important to chill the ice cream base thoroughly so it’s cold when it goes into the ice cream machine.
I turn the ice cream maker on during dinner so we can have fresh homemade ice cream for dessert. I love to experiment with ice cream flavors and this pistachio chocolate chip coconut ice cream is one of my favorites.
- 1-3/4 cups full fat coconut milk
- 1-3/4 cups cashew milk
- 1/2 cup local raw honey
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- 1-1/2 cups shelled unsalted pistachios, divided
- 1/2 cup dairy-free mini chocolate chips
- Add coconut milk, cashew milk, honey, vanilla, salt and 1-1/4 cups of pistachios to Vitamix and blend on high for 2 minutes. Refrigerate until thoroughly chilled.
- Chop remaining 1/4 pistachios and mix with chocolate chips. Put in freezer until needed.
- Once coconut mixture is chilled, freeze in your ice cream maker according to manufacturer's directions. Add chopped pistachios and chocolate chips during last 5 minutes of churning.