A rich double chocolate macadamia ice cream made with coconut milk. This easy homemade dairy-free ice cream is perfect for summer or anytime you're craving ice cream.
Chocolate Ice Cream Recipe
This chocolate ice cream recipe really delivers on chocolate. It's dairy-free, egg-free and refined sugar-free, but big on flavor. The chocolate ice cream base is rich and creamy — the perfect backdrop for chocolate chips and macadamia nuts.
And it also works for other flavor variations. Try this chocolate ice cream with your favorite add-ins or experiment with one of these options:
- crumbled baked brownies
- cookie dough (this pecan cookie dough would be awesome and it's egg-free!)
- chopped cherries or raspberries
- toasted coconut flakes
- cacao nibs instead of chocolate chips for a bittersweet crunch
- or just swap out the macadamia nuts for another nut like almonds to give it a different spin
The possibilities are endless. I like to switch it up and add something different every time I make homemade ice cream.
This post includes some affiliate links for your convenience (which means if you choose to make a purchase I may be compensated at no additional cost to you).
This method of making ice cream is so easy. There is no cooking needed, just throw everything in the blender. The coconut milk is what makes this chocolate ice cream so creamy. And combining it with the soaked cashews balances the coconut flavor so you really just taste the chocolate. Using a high-speed blender makes the chocolate ice cream base perfectly smooth.
The hardest part about making this ice cream is waiting for the mixture to chill before pouring it into the ice cream maker. So I like to make the ice cream "batter" in the morning and let it chill out in the fridge until I'm ready for it. Then just give it a quick whisk and pour it into the ice cream machine.
The chocolate chip and chopped macadamia add-ins take this chocolate ice cream version over the top, giving a nice texture and crunch. Depending on the instructions for your ice cream maker, you can add the chocolate chips and nuts before freezing or just before your ice cream is finished churning.
Most of the time I will let the ice cream machine run while we eat dinner so we can have soft serve ice cream for dessert. But if you like your ice cream firmer or want to get pretty scoops like in the photo, just put the finished ice cream in the freezer until it's firm enough to scoop.
Easy homemade chocolate ice cream
More dairy free dessert recipes
- Coffee Ice Cream (Paleo, Vegan, Dairy Free)
- Pistachio Chocolate Chip Ice Cream
- Paleo Peach Blueberry Crisp
- Raspberry Blackberry Coconut Parfait
- Easy Almond Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
Double Chocolate Macadamia Ice Cream
- Add water, cashews, coconut milk, honey, cacao powder, vanilla and salt to high-speed blender and blend on high for 2 minutes. Refrigerate until thoroughly chilled.
- Mix chocolate chips with chopped macadamia nuts. Put in freezer until needed.
- Once ice cream mixture is chilled, freeze in ice cream maker according to manufacturer's directions. Add chocolate chips and macadamia nuts for last 5 minutes of churning.