This easy and healthy dark chocolate bark is made with 3 ingredients and takes just 5 minutes to make. Everyone loves chocolate and with this vegan, keto and paleo-friendly chocolate bark there is something for everyone.
Chocolate bark is probably the easiest type of chocolate candy to make. It's so simple, but it looks fancy enough for entertaining---use it to garnish a bowl of dairy-free ice cream or add it to a dessert platter. It's perfect during the Christmas holidays, for Valentine's day or a handmade gift any time of year.
This is one of my favorite chocolate bark recipes. The combination of chocolate, pecans, and coconut reminds me of German chocolate cake.
This post contains some affiliate links for your convenience. Please read my disclosure for more info.
How to make chocolate bark
Making this chocolate treat couldn't be easier. Here's how to make chocolate bark:
- Melt the chocolate
- Spread the melted chocolate on parchment paper
- Add toppings
- Let the chocolate harden and break into pieces
There are a couple different ways you can melt the chocolate. The traditional way is to put the chopped chocolate in a double boiler or glass bowl set over simmering water to gently melt the chocolate.
Melting chocolate chips in the microwave is faster as long as you are careful not to overheat the chocolate. Stopping to stir the chocolate every 30 seconds makes it easy and it only takes 1 - 2 minutes total. While I prefer using dairy-free dark chocolate chips, you can always use semi-sweet chocolate (without milk), or white chocolate if you prefer. The process is the same no matter what type of bark you make.
Make sure you build your chocolate bark on a surface that you can leave it on to harden. If you want to cool the chocolate more quickly, put the parchment paper on a cookie sheet that will fit in your refrigerator. If I'm going to let the bark hard at room temperature, I'll just lay the parchment paper on the kitchen counter. An offset spatula makes it easier to spread the chocolate evenly.
Easy chocolate bark variations
It's simple to make several different types of chocolate bark at once. You can double the recipe or just put different toppings on each half of the bark. Try one of these flavors or toppings:
- Peppermint bark - skip the candy canes and add a peppermint flavor to the chocolate. Sprinkle with cacao nibs for crunch
- Almond bark - fold whole almonds into the melted chocolate and top with flaky sea salt for a sweet and salty treat
- Cherry chocolate bark - sprinkle with macadamias and unsweetened dried cherries
- White chocolate marble - melt a few cocoa butter wafers, sweeten to taste and swirl through the dark chocolate layer
- "Peanut butter" bark - for a peanut butter flavor without peanuts, mix sunbutter with a small amount of melted chocolate and swirl through the dark chocolate layer
- White chocolate bark - make paleo white chocolate for the bark and add colorful toppings like pistachios and dried cranberries for a seasonal twist
Any of these flavors would make a simple homemade gift. Package a few different flavors in a decorated bag, mason jar tied with ribbons, or a holiday box. Or try these easy homemade gift ideas.
No matter how you make it, your family will love this easy DIY chocolate bark!
More paleo desserts
Easy Chocolate Bark Recipe
- Melt chocolate chips in a glass mixing bowl in the microwave stirring after every 30 seconds. Stop microwaving when the chips are almost melted and stir until completely smooth.
- Spread melted chocolate on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper until it's about ¼ thick. Sprinkle with pecans and press them into the chocolate. Sprinkle with coconut.
- Let chocolate harden at room temperature or in the refrigerator. Cut or break chocolate into shards.
Easy paleo dessert recipes
- Easy Paleo Brownie Recipe
- Almond Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Mexican Chocolate Avocado Mousse
- Easy Dark Chocolate Pots de Creme
- 3-Ingredient Salted Chocolate Almond Haystacks