This easy Instant Pot chicken tortilla soup recipe is perfect for busy weeknights! The comfort of homemade chicken soup with all the Mexican flavors everyone loves.
This Instant Pot chicken tortilla soup recipe has it all! It's a fast and easy weeknight meal. It's the ultimate comfort food—homemade chicken soup. And it has lots of spicy Mexican flavor with tomatoes, jalapeno, avocado, lime and tortilla strips.
This post may contain affiliate links, meaning if you decide to make a purchase through my links, I may receive a commission at no cost to you.
How to make chicken soup in an Instant Pot
The Instant Pot makes quick work of chicken soup. This version is simple and satisfying.
The great thing about using the Instant Pot is it's really a one-pot meal. You use the saute function to brown the vegetables and the pressure cooker function to cook the chicken in the soup.
RELATED: Which Instant Pot is best for you?
Here are the basic steps to cooking chicken soup in the Instant Pot:
- Saute the vegetables in the Instant Pot
- Add the chicken stock, tomatoes, and raw chicken
- Pressure cook the soup for 20 minutes
- Shred the chicken and serve!
While you're waiting for the soup to pressure cook, bake the tortilla strips and prep your toppings.
How to make crispy tortilla strips
These tortilla strips are super quick and easy to make. And using cassava flour tortillas and avocado oil spray makes them an easy paleo and gluten-free substitute for traditional tortilla strips made with flour tortillas.
Just place the tortillas on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and cut them into strips using a pizza cutter. Spray the top with avocado oil. It's fine to just spray the top, no need to turn them over.
Bake the tortilla strips until they are golden brown and crispy.
For a low carb, keto, and Whole30 alternative to tortilla strips, try raw jicama sticks. Jicama is a Mexican vegetable that has a mild flavor and crunchy texture. It's also a great alternative to tortilla chips with guacamole or your favorite dip.
To serve the chicken tortilla soup, top with baked tortilla strips and garnish with avocado slices and lime wedges. This quick and easy chicken soup is perfect for lunch or dinner.
More easy Instant Pot recipes
Looking for more Instant Pot recipes? These family favorites are all gluten-free, dairy-free and paleo.
- Instant Pot Frozen Chicken Thighs (Keto, Paleo, Whole30)
- Instant Pot Hard Boiled Eggs
- The Easiest Instant Pot Pulled Pork (Keto, Paleo, Whole30)
- Instant Pot Ham with Honey Mustard
- Instant Pot Spaghetti Squash
Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- 1 small onion diced
- 3 celery stalks diced
- 3 carrots dices
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 10-ounce can diced tomatoes plain
- 1 10-ounce can diced tomatoes with jalepeno *see note
- 3 cups chicken stock
- coarse sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 pound boneless chicken thighs
- 1 avocado sliced
- 1 lime cut into wedges
- fresh cilantro for garnish
- Saute onion, celery, and carrots in oil in Instant Pot set to saute low until soft and starting to brown, about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and chili powder. Stir and cook 2 - 3 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes, stock, salt and pepper. Add chicken thighs and set Instant Pot to pressure cook on high pressure for 20 minutes.
- Shred chicken and stir back into the soup.
To make tortilla strips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place tortillas on the baking sheet in a single layer. Using a pizza cutter, cut the tortilla into ½-inch wide strips. Spray the top with avocado oil.
- Bake until golden brown and crispy.
- Serve the soup topped with tortilla strips, avocado slices, lime wedges, and fresh cilantro.