Here’s an easy keto hot chocolate to warm you up without the sugar overload. This super simple hot cocoa is low carb, paleo, vegan and dairy-free.
There’s nothing like a mug of hot chocolate to warm you up on those cold days.
Unfortunately, most hot chocolate mixes are filled with sugar and processed food chemicals that you don’t want in you’re hot drink. Even the sugar-free Swiss Miss Sensible Sweets version includes modified whey, maltodextrin, dipotassium phosphate, acesulfame potassium, mono- and di-glycerides, and “natural” flavors. And it’s sweetened with sucralose, the artificial sweetener sold under the brand name Splenda.
Luckily, with just three simple ingredients you can make this sugar-free keto hot chocolate without the guilt. This homemade hot cocoa recipe is just as fast and easy to make as the instant mix with all the scary ingredients.
This post may include affiliate links. Please read my disclosure for more info.
Here’s what you’ll need to make it
The combination of almond milk, raw cacao powder, and powdered monk fruit sweetener gives it the perfect amount of sweetness and creaminess.
Here’s what you’ll need to make it:
- Almond milk – look for one that’s unsweetened (like this one). Of course, you can use any type of non-dairy milk, other kinds of nut milk or coconut milk, that you prefer. But if you’re tracking carbs be sure to choose one that’s low carb. (You’ll probably want to avoid oat milk or hemp milk since they tend to be higher in carbs.)
- Powdered monk fruit sweetener – this monk fruit and allulose blend tastes the closest to sugar of any low carb sweetener I’ve tried. It has zero net carbs and because it’s powdered, it mixes in quickly with the cacao powder.
- Cacao powder – using powdered chocolate makes this recipe quick and easy—no need to melt chocolate. Look for unsweetened raw cacao powder (which is less processed). You can also substitute plain unsweetened cocoa.
- Optional add-in: collagen – if you’re looking to get more collagen in your diet, this is a great place to add a collagen powder (like this one). You won’t taste it at all!
Making this drink is super simple. Just heat your milk, either in the microwave or on the stovetop, until steaming (don’t let it boil). Then whisk in the cacao and powdered sweetener until smooth—a milk frother works great for this.
That’s it! Pour it into your favorite mug and enjoy. You won’t believe how quick, easy and delicious this keto hot chocolate is!
More hot drinks to warm you up
- Peppermint Hot Chocolate (Paleo, Keto, Vegan)
- Drinking Chocolate (Dark Hot Chocolate)
- Pumpkin Spice Latte (Keto, Vegan, Paleo)
- Easy Dairy-Free Cappuccino
- Hot Cinnamon Apple Cider (Paleo, Sugar Free, Whole30)