Make it Paleo II: Over 175 New Grain-Free Recipes for the Primal Palate is the follow-up to the classic Make it Paleo by Hayley Mason and Bill Staley. In their new cookbook Hayley and Bill, along with Hayley's sister Caitlin Grace Nagelson, a trained sushi chef, take it up a notch with more recipe inspiration. All created with their signature style of approachable recipes and gorgeous photography.
Make it Paleo II includes recipes with a global influence like summer spring rolls with “peanut” sauce, carne asada with pico de gallo, and ramen with chashu and marinated eggs. The pork belly for the chashu sounds amazing — it goes in the slow cooker with ginger, garlic, coconut aminos and maple sugar.
Each recipe includes notes for dairy-free, nut-free, egg-free and nightshade-free options. There is also a complete chart of dietary restrictions for each recipe included in the back of the book. So it's easy to see at a glance which recipes will work for you.
I can't wait to try this tomato jam recipe with homegrown summer tomatoes. It's shown here served with the grain-free sandwich bread from the book. But I think it would also be good on biscuits, or as a topping for eggs or grilled chicken.
Here's the tomato jam recipe from Make it Paleo II:
- 15 Roma tomatoes halved and seeded
- 1/2 cup finely diced yellow onion
- 1 tablespoon unsalted grass-fed butter ghee or lard
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon granulated maple sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt
- juice of 1 lemon 3 tablespoons
- 7 grinds black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- pinch of red pepper flakes
- Place the tomatoes in a food processor and process into small chunks.
- In a saucepan over medium-low heat, caramelize the onion in the butter until light brown, about 20 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and the remaining ingredients and simmer for 1 1/2–2 hours, stirring periodically, until the jam has reduced by about half and is thick, like a very thick tomato sauce.
Recipe and photo reprinted with permission from Make it Paleo II: Over 175 New Grain-Free Recipes for the Primal Palate by Hayley Mason and Bill Staley with Caitlin Grace Nagelson (Victory Belt Publishing Inc.).