This paleo pumpkin bread recipe from Clean Eating with a Dirty Mind is perfect for fall.
Pumpkin bread is just one of the drool-worthy treats in this new cookbook by Vanessa Barajas. Clean Eating with a Dirty Mind is pure food porn. Donuts, cookies, cake, ice cream, marshmallow — if you crave it, it's probably in this book. Vanessa has a knack for recreating traditional favorites with paleo-friendly ingredients.
There's something for everyone in this cookbook, sweet and savory alike. It includes savory comfort foods like Pizza Soup, Bacon Cheeseburger Stuffed Potatoes, and Pulled Pork Nachos. But the real heart of Clean Eating with a Dirty Mind is the desserts.
These recipes are just in time for holiday baking. There's a whole chapter on cookies, including Soft and Chewy Gingerbread, Paleo Moonpies, and Chocolate Turtle Thumbprints. One on confections like Cookie Dough Fudge and Salted Caramel Cups. And several pie crusts from Fauxreo to Old-Fashioned Flaky Pie Crust.
Vanessa provides recipes for a variety of dietary restrictions, including some that are egg-free, dairy-free, and nut-free. She even created two versions of Marshmallow Crème — one with egg whites and one without. There are so many indulgent recipes, you won't miss the real thing.
I baked the pumpkin bread for friends at the cottage last week. It was the perfect start to fall, and this spicy pumpkin bread was a real crowd-pleaser.
Pumpkin Bread | Clean Eating with a Dirty Mind
- 1 cup fine-ground blanched almond flour 92 g
- ¼ cup coconut flour 40 g
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon fine-grain sea salt
- ½ teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 cup coconut sugar 150 g
- ½ cup canned pumpkin puree 120 ml
- ⅓ cup melted coconut oil 80 ml
- 3 tablespoons canned full-fat coconut milk
- 1 vanilla bean split lengthwise and seeds scraped, or 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 large eggs
- Adjust an oven rack to the middle position and preheat the oven to 325°F (162°C). Line the bottom of a 9 by 5-inch (23 by 12.75-cm) glass loaf pan with parchment paper; set aside.
- Combine the flours, cinnamon, baking soda, salt, pumpkin pie spice, cloves, and coconut sugar in the bowl of a large food processor. Pulse 10 times or until mixed. Then add the pumpkin puree, coconut oil, coconut milk, vanilla bean seeds or extract, and eggs and process for 30 seconds or until combined. Scrape down the sides and process again if needed.
- Use a rubber spatula to transfer the mixture to the parchment-lined loaf pan. Bake for 70 to 75 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Let cool in the pan for 15 minutes, then use a knife to loosen the bread from the sides of the pan. Remove the loaf from the pan by lifting the parchment paper. Let cool completely before slicing and serving.
Recipe and photo reprinted with permission from Clean Eating with a Dirty Mind: Over 150 Paleo-Inspired Recipes for Every Craving by Vanessa Barajas (Victory Belt Publishing Inc.).