I have a cappuccino addiction. So when I first gave up dairy, I set out to find an alternative milk to make my morning cappuccino. I bought every version of dairy-free packaged milk I could find and did a taste test. I didn't like any of them. And they all had gums, thickeners and other processed food ingredients that I avoid.
My second taste test included homemade almond milk, packaged almond milk (for reference) and homemade cashew milk. While the homemade almond milk tasted better than the packaged, the homemade cashew milk was the hands down winner. The flavor was mild, creamy and slightly sweet. And making it with a Vitamix didn't require straining it through a nut milk bag, so it was much easier than making almond milk. Homemade cashew milk is my go-to dairy alternative.
Homemade Cashew Milk
- Rinse and drain the soaked cashews.
- Add cashews, 4 cups filtered water, vanilla extract or vanilla powder, sweetener of choice, and salt to high-speed blender.
- Blend on high for 2 minutes - set a timer.
- Transfer to pitcher and refrigerate until well chilled.
- Stir or shake well before serving.