This easy coleslaw recipe uses only 4 ingredients and takes just minutes to make. It's perfect for a potluck or summer BBQ. And it's paleo, low carb and keto friendly!
Easy coleslaw recipe ingredients
Once you make this super easy coleslaw recipe, it will become your go-to summer salad. This is the easiest one to whip up when I need and fast side dish and have no time to cook.
This post may include affiliate links to recommended products. This means if you make a purchase I may receive a small commission at no additional cost to you.
The ingredients are so simple. You'll need about a pound of shredded cabbage. You can slice it yourself, but I usually just grab a bag of coleslaw mix from the grocery store. Look for one that has only vegetables as ingredients. I like a mix that includes a few shredded carrots or red cabbage along with the green cabbage for color. It's fine if it includes some finely sliced onion as well---the mix is completely up to what you like.
This classic creamy coleslaw dressing is so simple you can make it with ingredients you probably already have in your pantry.
To get that classic sweet and sour flavor for the coleslaw dressing, I use apple cider vinegar and a little bit of honey. Of course, you can always substitute a few drops of liquid stevia for an even lower carb coleslaw. Since the Whole30 diet does not allow any type of sweetener, just omit this to make a Whole30 compliant coleslaw.
As for the mayonnaise, you can make your own paleo and Whole30 mayonnaise---or use a clean packaged mayo. I usually have this brand in my fridge, and it's faster to use the pre-made one. The ingredients are just avocado oil, eggs, vinegar, sea salt and rosemary (all organic), and it works great in this recipe.
How to make homemade coleslaw
Once you have the ingredients, making coleslaw couldn't be easier. Just whisk the dressing ingredients together in the bottom of a mixing bowl. (Make sure your bowl is large enough to hold all of the cabbage mixture with some extra room for tossing.) Then add your coleslaw mix and toss until it's completely coated with the dressing.
The coleslaw is best if you let it sit in the refrigerator for a few hours to meld the flavors. But to be honest, I usually end up making it while the meat is on the grill.
The great thing about making a big batch of coleslaw is having a healthy side dish in the fridge ready to eat. And if you cook enough protein on the grill, you have lunch or dinner done for tomorrow. The coleslaw is even better the next day!
Easy coleslaw variations
There are a few really simple substitutions you can make to change up the flavor of this coleslaw. Once you see how easy this recipe is, you'll be making it all the time so feel free to try some of these variations:
- Chipotle lime coleslaw - this is one of my favorites and probably the variation I make most often. Just swap paleo chipotle mayo for the mayonnaise, and lime juice for the vinegar. This brand of chipotle mayo is sugar-free and gives the coleslaw and nice spicy kick. This spicy coleslaw is the best coleslaw recipe for pulled pork!
- Pineapple coleslaw - for a tropical spin on coleslaw add a little bit of crushed pineapple to the dressing in place of the honey.
- Apple raisin coleslaw - for a Waldorf salad inspired variation omit the honey and add a shredded apple and a few unsweetened raisins to the mix.
- Coleslaw with celery seeds - this is another popular variation. Just add a little celery seed to taste to the dressing to give it this unique flavor.
- Coleslaw with mustard - I think this variation is a bit controversial (at least in our house). You're either in the with mustard or without mustard camp. If you like your coleslaw with mustard, just whisk Dijon mustard to taste into the dressing before adding the coleslaw mix.
More easy salads
Easy Coleslaw Recipe
- Whisk together mayonnaise, cider vinegar and honey in large mixing bowl.
- Add cabbage or coleslaw mix and toss to coat.
Salad side dish recipes for a summer BBQ
- Roasted Sweet Potato Salad (Paleo, Whole30)
- Broccoli Salad with Bacon (Paleo, Whole30, Gluten Free)
- Easy Tomato Cucumber Salad
- Avocado Caprese Salad with Heirloom Tomatoes
What's your favorite summer salad for a barbecue or potluck? Let me know in the comments below!