Make this easy dinner recipe from Danielle Walker's Meals Made Simple in the crock pot.
I'm a huge fan of Danielle Walker's Against All Grain and her first cookbook. The first time I made her Real Deal Chocolate Chip Cookies, my husband didn't believe they were grain-free cookies — they're that good. So I was thrilled to receive a review copy of her second book, Danielle Walker's Against All Grain: Meals Made Simple: Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, and Paleo Recipes to Make Anytime.
It's a beautiful book with full-page photos of every mouth-watering recipe. It even includes a tear-out, eight-week meal plan with shopping lists. There are so many great recipes to try, and all of them are indexed by dietary restrictions, quick meals, slow cooker and one-pot meals.
This post contains affiliate links, please read my disclosure for more info.
The first recipe I made from the book was Rosemary-Lemon Pork Chops. I had some thin pork chops left in the freezer that needed to be used up. And the rosemary plants are still going strong in my garden. Rosemary, garlic and lemon is one my favorite flavor combinations, and this recipe did not disappoint. It was quick, easy and tasty. The thin pork chops thawed quickly in a bowl of water, and cooked in a matter of minutes. This is a perfect weeknight meal, and one I will be making again.
Up next is Danielle's Chipotle Barbacoa. This is my kind of recipe — the sauce ingredients go in the food processor, and then everything goes into the crock pot. I'm sharing the photo and recipe from Meals Made Simple below. I think it will be perfect for watching football this weekend!
When selecting your beef, be sure to look for organic grass-fed meat. I find the easiest way to buy beef and other paleo-friendly meats is ButcherBox. You can get grass-fed and grass-finished beef, free-range organic chicken, heritage breed pork, and wild-caught salmon delivered to your door. It's so much easier and their meat is delicious! Get your first order here!
- 1 3-pound center-cut beef shoulder roast
- 3 to 5 large dried chipotle peppers seeds removed
- 1 small yellow onion quartered
- ¼ cup fresh lime juice
- ¼ cup tomato paste
- 4 cloves garlic peeled
- 1½ tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 teaspoon ground dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon ground cloves
- ¾ cup low-sodium beef stock or chicken stock
- 3 bay leaves
- lettuce, salsa, guacamole, and chopped fresh cilantro for serving
- Cut the roast into 2 pieces and trim any fat. Place in a slow cooker.
- Combine the chipotle peppers, onion, lime juice, tomato paste, garlic, vinegar, cumin, salt, oregano, and cloves in a food processor or blender. Process until smooth.
- Pour the puréed pepper mixture over the roast and add the stock and bay leaves.
- Cover and cook on low for 7 hours.
- Remove the beef and shred with 2 forks. Return the meat to the slow cooker and continue cooking for 1 to 2 hours, until very tender.
- Serve over a bed of lettuce with salsa, guacamole, and cilantro.
Recipe and photos reprinted with permission from Danielle Walker's Against All Grain: Meals Made Simple (Victory Belt Publishing Inc.).