This strawberry shortcake recipe is a healthy version of the classic summer dessert. It's so easy to put together with a simple almond flour shortcake, whipped coconut cream with a hint of lime, and fresh strawberries!
When you find some beautiful fresh ripe strawberries at the farm market, it's the perfect time to make this easy gluten-free, grain-free, dairy-free, paleo strawberry shortcake recipe. The combination of sweet strawberries, zesty lime and whipped coconut cream is a revelation.
This post includes some affiliate links for your convenience. You can read our full disclosure policy here.
How to make almond flour shortcakes
This easy strawberry dessert is really quick to put together with a little advance preparation. The almond flour shortcake biscuits for this recipe couldn't be easier. And it takes just a few minutes to put them together.
Simply stir together the almond flour (I like this one), baking soda, and salt. Then whisk together the eggs, lime juice, and honey. Mix the wet ingredients and dry ingredients together to form a dough and scoop the cakes onto a baking sheet.
You can make the shortcakes ahead and freeze them until needed. To thaw, put them in a cold oven and turn the oven on to 300 degrees. They can thaw while you whip the coconut cream and slice the strawberries. I like to do this while dinner is cooking, so everything is ready for quick assembly after dinner.
For the coconut whipped cream, be sure to use a full fat coconut milk (like this one) that has just organic coconut milk and water as the ingredients so the cream will separate from the liquid when you refrigerate it overnight.
Pro tip: keep an unopened can or two of full fat coconut milk in the refrigerator. This way it's already chilled and you can make the whipped coconut cream in about five minutes.
With pre-baked shortcakes in the freezer and coconut milk in the fridge, this easy paleo strawberry shortcake with lime coconut cream is a great dessert any day of the week.
More strawberry recipes to try
- Almond Flour Strawberry Muffins
- Strawberry Coconut Smoothie
- Strawberry Mojito Smoothie
- Strawberry Spinach Chicken Salad
- Arugula Strawberry Salad
Paleo Strawberry Shortcake with Lime Coconut Cream
Lime Coconut Cream
- 1 quart strawberries sliced
- Shortcakes: Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Combine almond flour, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl. Make a well in the center and add eggs, 2 tablespoons honey and lime juice. Stir the dough until well combined. Drop by large spoonfuls onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake until golden brown, 15-20 minutes. Cool completely on wire rack.
- Coconut cream: Open the bottom of a can of coconut milk and pour off liquid. Scoop the coconut cream into a bowl and beat with a hand mixer until it is the consistency of whipped cream. Add vanilla and honey to taste, and beat until combined. Fold in the zest of one lime. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Assembly: Split the shortcakes and layer with sliced strawberries and whipped coconut cream. Garnish with remaining lime zest.