I make chocolate walnut pie twice a year — for Thanksgiving and for the Kentucky Derby. I make it a little differently each time, and today I also made a more traditional derby pie version with pecans. Which, of course, resulted in a side by side taste test.
I have a hard time deciding which version I like better. They both deliver on that rich, sweet, chocolate nut flavor. The chocolate walnut version reminds me of brownies, and the pecan version tastes more like pecan pie. In the pecan version, I also swapped out the vanilla for a splash of Kentucky bourbon, for a more traditional derby pie flavor. So while this pie is not strictly paleo, it is a delicious gluten-free, grain-free treat.
My husband usually requests the chocolate walnut version for Thanksgiving, but I think the pecan version may become our official derby day pie.
- 1 prepared pie crust
- 1-1/4 cup chopped walnuts (or pecans)
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 cup ghee
- 3/4 cup honey
- 3 tablespoons cacao powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla (or bourbon)
- 1 teaspoon espresso powder
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Prepare pie crust and pre-bake for 10 minutes.
- Add all remaining ingredients, except walnuts, to blender and blend until smooth. Spread walnuts in bottom of pie crust and pour egg mixture over walnuts.
- Bake 30 - 35 minutes until just set in center. Cool completely before serving.
Serve with coconut whipped cream, if desired.