Chocolate walnut pie recipe with a traditional derby pie variation with pecans - an easy and delicious gluten-free, grain-free treat.
I make chocolate walnut pie twice a year — for Thanksgiving and for the Kentucky Derby. I make it a little differently each time, and today I also made a more traditional derby pie version with pecans. Which, of course, resulted in a side by side taste test.
I have a hard time deciding which version I like better. They both deliver on that rich, sweet, chocolate nut flavor. The chocolate walnut version reminds me of brownies, and the pecan version tastes more like pecan pie.
In the pecan version, I also swapped out the vanilla for a splash of Kentucky bourbon, for a more traditional derby pie flavor. So while this version of the pie is not strictly paleo, it is a delicious gluten-free, grain-free treat.
This post includes affiliate links, you can read my full disclosure statement here.
My husband usually requests the chocolate walnut version for Thanksgiving, but I think the pecan version may become our official derby day pie.
More paleo chocolate desserts
- Mexican Chocolate Avocado Mousse
- Easy Paleo Brownie Recipe
- Easy Dark Chocolate Pots de Creme
- Kelly Brozyna's Chocolate Pie
Chocolate Walnut Pie
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Prepare a 9-inch pie crust and pre-bake for 10 minutes.
- Add all remaining ingredients, except walnuts, to blender and blend until smooth. Spread walnuts in bottom of pie crust and pour egg mixture over walnuts.
- Bake 30 - 35 minutes until just set in center. Cool completely before serving.