It’s hard to find a packaged breakfast sausage without a lot of additives. Here’s the ingredient list from one of the best-selling brands: pork, water, sodium lactate, sugar, monosodium glutamate, natural flavorings, BHA, BHT, and citric acid. Just what I want to eat for breakfast. The good news is it’s really easy to make paleo breakfast sausage. You can have sausage patties ready to cook or freeze in less than five minutes.
This simple recipe calls for just pork and a few spices. I think sage gives sausage that classic breakfast flavor. And I like to add a little smokiness and heat with smoked paprika. The great thing about making your own breakfast sausage is you can use any herbs and spices — rosemary, thyme, or even a poultry seasoning blend. Add whatever you like. And make extra sausage patties to put in the freezer. That way you’ll always have some paleo breakfast sausage on hand to make a frittata, like this one with sausage and butternut squash.
- 1 pound ground pork
- 1 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked sweet paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked hot paprika
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 3/4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- Combine spices in small bowl. Add to ground pork and mix until just combined. Form into 8 patties.
- Cook patties in a skillet over medium-low heat until browned and cooked through.