Celebrate the season with fresh summer berries and coconut whipped cream.
This is the easiest red, white and blue berries and cream for the 4th of July. I made it with just three ingredients. The fresh summer strawberries and blueberries were so naturally sweet, I didn’t need to add anything to them — or to the coconut cream. This simple dessert is creamy, delicious and dairy-free.
If your berries are not quite sweet enough, you can always add a touch of vanilla and a drizzle of honey or maple syrup to the coconut cream. Sweetened or unsweetened, whipped coconut cream is wonderful with fresh homegrown berries.
I love serving something colorful and festive for Independence Day. Red, white and blue berries and cream is a perfect dessert to pair alongside something chocolate if you’re feeding a crowd (I recommend paleo brownies). And it’s great straight out of the fridge for breakfast!
- 2 cups strawberries, quartered
- 2 cups blueberries
- 1 can full fat coconut milk, refrigerated overnight
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract (optional)
- honey or maple syrup, to taste (optional)
- Open bottom of can of coconut milk and pour off liquid. Scoop coconut cream into large bowl and whip to consistency of whipped cream. Whip in vanilla and honey, if using.
- Layer blueberries, coconut cream and strawberries in glass.