These double chocolate chip muffins are truly decadent. You won't believe they're paleo, gluten-free, grain-free and dairy-free.
These double chocolate chip muffins are packed with chocolate flavor. It's like eating chocolate chocolate chip cupcakes for breakfast. Or a slightly less sweet dessert. Either way, they will satisfy your chocolate craving and always disappear quickly.
This post includes affiliate links for your convenience. Please read my disclosure for info here.
Double chocolate chip muffins
The almond flour (I use this one) batter is super simple to whip up and you can have these chocolate paleo muffins ready to go in the oven in the time it takes for the oven to preheat.
The double chocolate in these muffins comes from cacao powder in the batter and dark chocolate chips (or chunks) mixed in before baking for even more chocolate flavor. Using almond flour for the batter keeps the chocolate pieces from sinking to the bottom of the muffins.
I use cacao powder in these muffins because that's what I keep stocked in my pantry. Cacao powder is less processed than cocoa powder. You can read more about the differences between cacao powder and cocoa powder here.
For the chocolate chips, you can use mini gluten-free, dairy-free chocolate chips. Or chop up a paleo dark chocolate bar like this one. You could even use raw cacao nibs for an even less sweet, lower carb version.
I also like to use ghee in these muffins too add the butter flavor. Of course, you can always substitute coconut oil for a dairy-free version. Just be sure to use dairy free chocolate for the chips as well.
I love these double chocolate chip muffins with a cashew milk iced latte. And they're a perfect gluten-free, grain-free treat for an afternoon snack — especially with raspberries. They would also be really good with a little whipped coconut cream on top. I'll have to try that next time.
More paleo baked treats
Check out the recipes below for more gluten-free baking ideas!
Looking for more paleo muffins? Here are some of my favorite almond flour muffins to try:
- Paleo Apple Muffins
- Paleo Strawberry Muffins
- Paleo Cranberry Orange Muffins
- Paleo Carrot Pineapple Muffins
Or for paleo chocolate desserts and treats, try these:
- 10 Paleo Chocolate Recipes Made with Cacao Powder
- Easy Paleo Brownie Recipe
- Easy Dark Chocolate Pots de Creme
- Mexican Chocolate Avocado Mousse
Double Chocolate Chip Muffins
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees and grease or line muffin tin.
- Combine dry ingredients in large bowl. Combine wet ingredients in medium bowl. Stir wet ingredients into dry ingredients, then stir in chocolate chips.
- Using a large ice cream or cookie scoop, fill muffin cups ¾ full.
- Bake 25 - 30 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.