This is my paleo take on a Caprese salad. I substitute avocado for the mozzarella and layer it with heirloom tomatoes and fresh basil from the garden. Heirloom tomato avocado salad is a perfect appetizer for these hot summer nights.
The key to this salad is having perfectly ripe produce. You want the tomatoes and basil at their peak of flavor and the avocado perfectly ripe and creamy. Slice the avocados horizontally to make perfect rounds and toss them in a little lemon juice to prevent browning. Dress the salad simply with the best quality extra virgin olive oil, course sea salt and freshly cracked pepper. You can also drizzle with a nice aged balsamic vinegar if you like.
With summer produce at its peak of freshness, you hardly have to do anything to it. Let the fresh summer flavors shine through and enjoy this quick and easy heirloom tomato avocado salad recipe.
- 4 medium heirloom tomatoes
- 3 medium avocados
- 1 large bunch fresh basil
- 1 lemon, juiced
- extra virgin olive oil, cold-pressed organic
- aged balsamic vinegar, optional
- course Celtic sea salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- Cut the avocado around the equator and remove pit. Slice into rounds, then remove peel. Lightly toss avocado slices in lemon juice.
- Slice tomatoes and salt lightly.
- Layer tomato slices, avocado slices and basil leaves. Drizzle with olive oil and balsamic vinegar, if using. Salt and pepper to taste.