This super quick and healthy air fryer boneless chicken breast recipe is great for busy weeknights. Here's how to make delicious, juicy, moist chicken breasts in the air fryer. So easy!
Perfectly seasoned boneless chicken breasts turn out tender and juicy every time when you cook them with the help of your air fryer. This easy recipe will help you achieve that crispy outside while keeping the inside succulent and delicious.
Chicken dinners are always a hit and here, this quick and easy air fryer boneless chicken breast recipe may become your new favorite way to prepare this poultry entrée.
It's quick because you're using an air fryer, which means your chicken breasts will be ready in about 10 minutes.
It's easy because:
- there's no brining involved
- there's no breading involved
- there's no marinating time
- clean up is practically non-existent
- minimal ingredients are needed
- it's great for meal-prep
What could be easier or tastier?
This post may include affiliate links. For more info, see my disclosure here.
Why Use An Air Fryer?
An air fryer uses a circulating hot air method of cooking or "frying" food, similar to a convection oven, that's healthier than traditional methods. It needs very little oil on your ingredients in order to achieve a crispy outer texture, making it an excellent way to cook food where a crunchy outer surface is appropriate.
While it crisps the outside of your food, it heats the internal section without losing its juices, moisture or flavor so that it results in the perfect combo of crispy, yet tender.
Air fryers are also known for cooking most ingredients in less time than traditional methods. A bonus that can't be overlooked is that clean up is often less messy than other methods.
Here's What You'll Need
- Boneless skinless chicken breasts - Use fresh chicken breasts that are about 2 inches thick. If they're too thick, cut them horizontally for a thinner breast, in which case, you'll need to adjust cooking time.
- Olive oil - Just a light brush of olive oil to both sides of the chicken breasts will help the spices adhere as well as help produce a crispy outer texture while cooking.
- Seasoning blend - Mix together sea salt, garlic powder, and an Italian herb blend to give your chicken a delicious flavor. It's a dry spice mixture that you'll sprinkle on the chicken after you've brushed them with oil.
You'll Need This Equipment
- Air Fryer - Here's a handy review of air fryers and includes the one I have.
- Instant Read Internal Meat Thermometer - This is an inexpensive yet important tool since it will help you determine if your chicken is heated to the regulation temperature of 165° F for safe consumption.
How To Make It
- Preheat your air fryer to 375° F.
- In a small bowl, mix the seasonings of salt, garlic powder and Italian seasoning.
- Cut your chicken breasts, if needed. Brush both sides with olive oil. Sprinkle both sides of the chicken breasts with the seasoning mixture.
- Add the chicken breasts in a single layer in your air fryer's basket. Make sure there is room between each piece so that the air can circulate on all sides. If you have a smaller unit, you may need to cook in batches unless you have an airfryer accessory that allows for 2 racks.
- Cook the chicken breasts for 5 minutes and then flip the chicken breasts over and cook for an additional 3-5 minutes. Use an instant read thermometer to check the temperature for doneness. When the internal temperature reaches 160° F, remove the chicken from the air fryer.
- Place the chicken on a plate and tent with foil. Let it sit for about 10 minutes. This will allow the chicken's internal temperature to reach 165° F, which is considered the safe temperature for consumption.
Do I Need To Oil The Air Fryer Basket?
Since the chicken breasts have already been brushed with oil, you should not need to oil your air fryer basket. But if you're just wanting to make sure the chicken doesn't stick, you can use a small spritz of olive oil cooking spray on the basket.
To keep this recipe easy, use any dry seasoning mixture in the flavor(s) of your choice. Mix and blend them yourself or use prepared blended mixtures like lemon pepper, cajun, chipotle, chili powder or my homemade herbs de Provence. Or try a sprinkle of sea salt, black pepper, smoked paprika and onion powder.
If you're wanting a BBQ sauce flavoring that's not a dry rub, use your favorite bottled brand, or use my delicious homemade BBQ sauce recipe but brush it on it during the last 4-5 minutes of cooking so that it doesn't burn.
Can I Use Frozen Chicken Breasts?
Yes, you can. This particular recipe is perfect for frozen chicken breasts because it requires no marinating or brining which you cannot do with frozen chicken.
- Preheat your air fryer just a little lower at 360° F for frozen chicken.
- To cook frozen chicken breasts in the air fryer, just brush both sides of the chicken with olive oil and sprinkle with the seasoning mixture on both sides. Place them in your pre-heated air fryer and cook for 20-25 minutes, flipping the chicken breasts halfway through.
- You will definitely want to use an Internal meat thermometer to be assured that the internal temperature is at least 160° F in the thickest part of the chicken before removing and tenting the chicken with foil to let the chicken continue to reach an internal temperature of 165° F.
Can I Use Boneless Chicken Thighs For This Recipe?
Yes, you can. Prepare them according to the recipe. Since thighs are usually thicker, you may need to increase the cooking time on each side depending on their size. Make sure you use the meat thermometer to gauge the internal temp, which should be 165° F to be considered fully cooked.
How To Serve Air Fryer Boneless Chicken Breasts
The best thing about this recipe, other than it being super easy for a weeknight dinner, is that it's wonderful for meal planning. You can use air fryer boneless chicken breasts in so many ways that it's worth your time to make a batch or two to have on hand for weekly meals.
Serve it with your favorite veggies side dishes such as:
With sauces and condiments such as:
Leftover chicken is also perfect for eating cold, sliced over a salad, in a sandwich or lettuce wrap, or reheating and using it in tacos, over pasta or as a pizza topping.
How To Store Leftovers
Refrigerator: Store cooked chicken breasts in an airtight storage container for up to 2 days.
Freezer: Store your cooked chicken breasts in an airtight freezer-safe container or bag for up to 1 month. When ready to use, thaw overnight in the refrigerator.
How To Reheat Leftover Chicken Breasts
There are several ways to reheat leftover chicken breasts. Note: do not reheat from frozen. Let them thaw overnight in the fridge before reheating.
- Air Fryer Method: The quickest and tastiest method is to reheat your chicken in the air fryer. Place the chicken in the basket of your preheated 375° F air fryer for 4 minutes, flipping the chicken halfway through.
- Traditional Oven Method: You can also use a traditional oven to reheat your chicken. In a 350° F preheated oven, place your chicken breasts in a shallow baking dish with a little water or chicken broth in the bottom to help keep the chicken from drying out. Cover the dish with foil. Bake for 15 minutes, checking to see if the chicken has heated through. If not, leave in a little longer until your desired temperature is achieved.
- Skillet Method: You can reheat your chicken breasts in a skillet on the stovetop by placing a little water or broth in before adding the chicken. Cover and simmer on low until the chicken has heated through for your purposes.
- Microwave Method: You can also try microwaving your cold chicken, but be sure to add liquid to your microwave safe dish to keep the chicken from becoming dry and rubbery. Add a little water or chicken broth and cover the dish before heating in 1-2 minute increments until the chicken has warmed enough for your purposes.
Related Chicken Recipes
Easy Air Fryer Boneless Chicken Breast Recipe
- Preheat air fryer to 375 degrees F.
- Mix salt, garlic powder and herbs together in a small bowl.
- Cut chicken breasts in half if very large. Brush with olive oil and sprinle with salt and herb mixture on both sides.
- Place chicken in a single layer in the air fryer basket, leaving room for air to cirulate on all sides. Cook in batches or use a 2-tier rack if necessary.
- Cook chicken for 5 minutes, then turn over and cook for 3-5 minutes or until cooked through. Check the temperature with an instant read thermometer and remove the chicken when it reaches 160 degrees F. Tent with foil and rest the chicken until it reaches 165 degrees, about 10 minutes.