This spicy shrimp and chorizo soup from Paleo Soups & Stews is perfect for a warm and cozy dinner.
There's nothing more comforting than a bowl of soup. And this one is filled with shrimp, sausage, and spicy smoky flavors.
I'm a firm believer in eating soup all year long. From a steaming mug of broth to warm you up to a cold refreshing soup in the summer. This post includes affiliate links. You can read my full disclosure policy here.
Paleo Soups & Stews: Over 100 Delectable Recipes for Every Season, Course, and Occasion by Simone Miller of Zenbelly covers them all with gluten-free, paleo recipes.
There are two great reasons to love this book—soups obviously. Everything from hearty stews to gazpachos to cool dessert soups.
And all the sides, add-ins, and toppers. I tried the paleo cassava flour tortillas last weekend and they were amazing—so much easier than I thought they would be. Here are a few of the other recipes I've bookmarked to try: homemade noodles, wontons, and sweet potato gnocchi.
Spicy Shrimp and Chorizo Soup
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon avocado oil divided
- 1 medium onion cut into small dice
- 3 celery ribs cut into small dice
- 1 red orange, or yellow bell pepper cut into small dice
- 4 cloves garlic sliced
- 12 ounces Spanish-style dry-cured chorizo cut into small dice, divided
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1½ teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 quart shrimp or chicken broth
- 1 pound shrimp peeled and deveined, and chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 1 avocado diced or sliced, for serving
- chopped fresh cilantro for garnish
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large, heavy-bottomed pot over medium-high heat. When the oil is shimmering, add the onion, celery, and bell pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, for 6 to 8 minutes, until the onion is translucent.
- Add the garlic, three-quarters of the chorizo, tomato paste, smoked paprika, coriander, and salt and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly, until very fragrant.
- Add the tomatoes and cook for 5 minutes to cook the raw taste out.
- Add the broth and bring to a simmer. Cook, uncovered, for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small sauté pan, heat the remaining teaspoon of oil over high heat. When the oil is hot, add the remaining chorizo and cook for 5 minutes, or until crispy. Set aside to drain on paper towels.
- Taste the soup and add additional smoked paprika, coriander, and salt if needed. Add the shrimp and simmer until just cooked through, 3 to 4 minutes. Remove from the heat, stir in the minced cilantro, and serve topped with the crispy chorizo, avocado, and chopped cilantro.
Spicy Shrimp and Chorizo Soup recipe and photos reprinted with permission from Paleo Soups & Stews: Over 100 Delectable Recipes for Every Season, Course, and Occasion by Simone Miller (Victory Belt Publishing Inc.).