Need something to warm you up? This sweet potato soup with coconut milk is like a warm hug in a bowl. And it's paleo, vegan, gluten-free, and Whole30.
Easy sweet potato soup with coconut milk
This simple sweet potato soup is magical. With just a few ingredients it transforms into something complex and delicious.
Most traditional recipes for sweet potato soup call for a roux made with flour and butter---or they add brown sugar or sour cream. I skip all of that.
If you're pureeing a starchy vegetable, there is absolutely no reason to add gluten or dairy. The sweet potatoes themselves thicken the soup perfectly. And roasting the sweet potatoes brings out the sweetness so there is no need for added sweetener of any kind.
This soup is the simplest essence of sweet potato soup---roasted sweet potatoes, vegetable stock and a splash of creamy coconut milk. You can taste all the flavors and it needs nothing to adorn it.
Of course, you can dress it up for the holidays. I like to do this with a fancy garnish. Think fresh herbs or coconut bacon if you want to keep it vegan. It's amazing topped with sweet lobster or lump crab meat. And of course, you can never go wrong with bacon! Let your imagination run wild.
For New Year's Eve last year I added a splash of cognac and topped the soup with broiled lobster tails. It was a huge hit and will probably be on the menu again this year for either Thanksgiving or Christmas!
How to make sweet potato soup
This soup couldn't be easier. Start with roasted sweet potatoes. You can roast them in the oven for more caramelization. Or if you're pressed for time, roast them in the slow cooker.
You can put the sweet potatoes in the slow cooker in the morning---or make Instant Pot sweet potatoes. And when you get home just blend the soup together for a super quick meal.
Once the sweet potatoes are cooked, all you have to do is peel them (the skins practically fall off the roasted sweet potatoes) and puree them in the blender with the stock and coconut milk. Then pour the soup into a large pan to reheat.
Whether you eat it plain or loaded with toppings, this sweet potato soup is the perfect thing to warm you up on a cold winter's day!
More easy soup recipes
You may also like these soup recipes:
- Easy Rotisserie Chicken Soup in a Hurry
- Easy Cauliflower Celeriac Soup with Bacon (Paleo, Keto, Whole30)
- Easy Broccoli Soup (Paleo, Keto, Whole30)
- Crock Pot Chicken Soup (Paleo, Keto, Whole30)
- 10-Minute Paleo Tomato Soup
Sweet Potato Soup
- 3 large sweet potatoes
- 2 - 3 cups vegetable stock
- ½ cup coconut milk
- sea salt to taste
- fresh ground pepper to taste
- Roast the sweet potatoes whole until soft in a 400-degree oven for 1 ½ hours or in the slow cooker (here's how to cook sweet potatoes in the slow cooker).
- Peel sweet potatoes and add to blender with vegetable stock and coconut milk. Start with 2 cups of stock and add more if needed to blend.
- Heat in a large saucepan over low heat until just simmering. Season with salt and pepper to taste and add additional stock if needed to thin.
- Serve with optional garnishes if desired.
Leave a Reply