These easy roasted root vegetables are a perfect side dish for fall. Or a simple no-stress side for the holidays. And they are paleo, vegan, gluten-free and Whole30-compliant!
This is a side dish I make all the time in the cooler months. It's so simple. It takes just a few minutes of hands on time and cooks while you go do something else. And best of oven roasting brings out the natural sweetness in the root veggies.
The recipe is completely flexible. You can include whatever root vegetables you have — sweet potatoes, celery root, carrots, parsnips, turnips, beets. It also works with butternut squash. The only essential ingredients are cooking fat, salt, and pepper. But, of course, you can always include other flavorings like red onion, garlic, herbs and spices. Or combine them with other fall vegetables like brussels sprouts.
Oven roasted root vegetables
Here's how easy it is to roast the vegetables:
- Preheat the oven and line the baking sheets with parchment paper. If you're doing a large batch of roast veggies, it's better to spread them out in a single layer on a couple baking sheets than to try and crowd them onto one baking sheet. If they're overcrowded, they'll steam instead of roasting.
- Cut the vegetables roughly the same size so they'll cook evenly. You can put them in a large bowl to toss with the oil, sea salt and pepper. Although I usually toss them right on the baking sheet so I have fewer dishes to wash.
- Roast the veggies until they are cooked through (easily pierce with a knife), browned and starting to caramelize.
The cooking temperature is very forgiving. If you have something else in the oven at a different temperature, you can roast the vegetables anywhere between 350 and 450 degrees. Just adjust the cooking time (longer for a moderate oven and shorter for a high oven temperature).
Once the veggies are roasted. You can garnish them with fresh herbs or a drizzle of balsamic vinegar. This versatile vegetable side dish is sure to become a favorite in your house.
This simple roasted vegetable recipe is an easy side dish for Thanksgiving when you're serving people on different diets. It's gluten, grain, and dairy-free, paleo and vegan.
More Fall and Holiday Recipes
Easy Roasted Root Vegetables
- 2 large sweet potatoes
- 1 celery root celeriac
- 2 carrots
- 1 parsnip
- 1 - 2 tablespoons olive oil
- sea salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cut vegetables into cubes. Toss with olive oil to coat. Season with salt and pepper.
- Roast on rimmed baking sheet for 30 - 45 minutes, until vegetables are browned and cooked through.
You may also like these fall recipes:
- Crock Pot Butternut Squash
- Instant Pot Spaghetti Squash
- Slow Cooker Sweet Potatoes
- Paleo Sweet Potato Casserole (Gluten Free, Grain Free, Dairy Free)
- Easy Paleo Apple Muffins
- 3-Ingredient Crock Pot Applesauce (Paleo, Vegan, Whole30)
- Bacon Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Honey Mustard
Leave a Reply