I haven’t made broccoli salad in years, but I was reminded of it the other day when I saw it on a buffet. I knew it would be easy to make a paleo version. I couldn’t find my old recipe, so I recreated it from memory — and made a few changes along the way. My new broccoli salad with bacon recipe is a perfect side dish for a summer get-together.
This broccoli salad gets its crunch from the broccoli and walnuts. It has a hint of sweet and sour from the combination of sweet golden raisins and apple cider vinegar. And it has lots of smoky goodness from the bacon. I updated the recipe with homemade paleo mayo and skipped the sugar that’s usually added to the dressing. I also reduced the amount of dressing to let the flavors of the salad shine through. And of course, I had to add a little extra bacon.
This updated broccoli salad with bacon will definitely be on the menu for our Labor Day barbecue.
- 1/4 cup red onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons organic apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 head broccoli, cut into bite size florets
- 8 slices bacon, cooked crisp and crumbled
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- sea salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
- Combine onions, vinegar and a good pinch of salt in bottom of large bowl. Stir in mayonnaise.
- Add remaining ingredients and toss. Season with salt and pepper to taste.