This is my all-time favorite summer salad. It’s easy to put together and highlights fresh homegrown tomatoes, cucumbers and herbs. With its simple red wine vinegar and olive oil dressing, this salad comes together in just a few minutes. Easy tomato cucumber salad is perfect for a barbecue or picnic.
This salad is so versatile. It’s easy to double or triple the recipe for a crowd and always gets rave reviews. You can use whatever fresh herbs you have — basil, mint, parsley or even cilantro. I used basil today, but half basil and half mint is another favorite combination.
The key to this salad is letting the onions and cucumbers sit in the vinegar for a few minutes before adding the rest of the ingredients. This takes the edge off the raw onions and adds a nice tangy kick to the cucumbers. However you make it, this easy tomato cucumber salad is the perfect taste of summer.
- 1/2 purple onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cucumbers, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 4 large tomatoes
- 1/4 cup good olive oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- coarse sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Add onion and cucumber to large bowl and toss with vinegar. Let sit while you prepare the rest of the ingredients.
- Cut tomatoes into thin wedges and add to bowl with cucumbers and onions. Add olive oil, basil, salt and pepper and toss.