These chocolate chip brownie scones are a perfect gluten-free, dairy-free treat to satisfy your chocolate craving.
Is this a brownie or is it a scone? I'm undecided. I'll have another one with my cappuccino while I think about it. These chocolate chip brownie scones are crisp on the outside and fudgy on the inside. A bit of a split personality, but it's a quick and easy gluten-free, grain-free chocolate treat. They are dark, chocolaty, not-too-sweet, and filled with molten chocolate chips when served warm from the oven.
This chocolate chip brownie scone recipe is so simple. You can have the batter ready by the time the oven preheats — and they bake in only 15 minutes. I use mini gluten-free chocolate chips in this recipe; they work well with the texture of the scones. They may not be traditional, but sometimes you just need chocolate chips.
Here's what you'll need to make them:
- almond flour
- cacao powder
- instant espresso powder
- baking soda
- sea salt
- apple cider vinegar
- chocolate chips
How to make them
- Whisk together the almond flour, cacao powder, espresso powder, baking soda, and salt in a large mixing bowl.
- Mix the eggs, honey, and apple cider vinegar in a medium bowl, then add to the dry ingredients and stir to combine. Stir in the walnuts in the chocolate chips.
- Using a large cookie scoop, drop the scones onto a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Lightly wet your hands and gently flatten the tops of the scones to about 1 inch in thickness.
- Bake at 325 degrees until they are slightly crisp on the outside and just cooked through (about 12-15 minutes). Be careful not to overbake them - they should be brownie-like on the inside.
How to serve
These chocolate scones are best served warm from the oven. Let them cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes before serving.
You can eat them plain or serve them with coconut whipped cream and berries.
Or try topping with this easy homemade dairy-free coffee ice cream.
More easy chocolate recipes
More almond flour scone recipes
Gluten-Free Chocolate Chip Brownie Scones
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Combine dry ingredients in large bowl.
- Mix wet ingredients in separate bowl, then add to dry ingredients and stir to combine. Stir in walnuts in chocolate chips.
- Using a large cookie or ice cream scoop, drop the scones onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Lightly wet hands and gently flatten the tops of the scones. They should be about 1 inch thick.
- Bake 12-15 minutes until the scones are crisp outside and just cooked through. Do not over bake; the scones should be brownie-like inside.