Gluten-free gingerbread scones are perfect for this time of year - a quick and easy breakfast using all of your favorite warm holiday spices.
I love this time of year. Gingerbread and spices always remind me of the holidays. And these gingerbread scones are perfect for this time of year - a quick and easy breakfast using all of my favorite warm holiday spices.
Ingredients You'll Need
- Almond flour - use superfine blanched almond flour
- Coconut sugar
- Ground ginger - extra ginger for the gingerbread flavor
- Pumpkin pie spice - I use my own homemade pumpkin spice blend
- Baking soda
- Sea salt
- Honey or molasses
- Apple cider vinegar
How To Make Them
This drop scone recipe couldn't be easier. There are just a few basic steps.
- Mix the dry ingredients together in a large mixing bowl.
- Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and add all the wet ingredients. Stir together starting in the center and incorporating the dry ingredients from the sides of the bowl as you go.
- Once you have all the ingredients fully mixed into a thick dough, use a cookie scoop to drop the scones onto a lined baking sheet.
- Bake in a preheated 325-degree oven until browned and cooked through, about 18 - 20 minutes.
To keep almond flour baked goods from getting too brown on the bottom, stack two baking sheets on top of each other. Double stacking them creates an insulated baking pan with an air pocket that helps keep the bottom from getting too hot.
Also, be sure to line your baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone liner to prevent sticking. I like to use parchment paper and just slide the parchment and scones onto a cooling rack after removing them from the oven.
These gingerbread scones freeze beautifully. If there are any leftovers, store the remaining scones in the freezer in a reusable silicone bag.
To thaw, just place them in a cold oven and turn it on to 300 degrees. You can a piece of parchment paper right on the oven rack and set the scones on it. They are warmed through in about 15 minutes.
These scones are not too sweet, so they are perfect for your favorite toppings. Here are a few ideas to try.
- Top warm scones with vanilla ghee and drizzle with honey.
- Make a simple glaze with coconut butter mixed with spiced maple syrup.
- Serve with fried apples (sliced apples sauteed in butter or ghee and sprinkled with pie spice).
- Spread with coconut whipped cream in place of traditional clotted cream and a mixed berry and cranberry fruit spread.
- And of course, serve them with your favorite holiday warm beverage, like a pumpkin spice latte.
More Almond Flour Scone Recipes
More Christmas Spice Ideas
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Add almond flour, coconut sugar, ginger, pumpkin pie spice, baking soda, and salt to a large bowl and whisk to combine.
- Make a well in the center of the flour mixture and add eggs, honey and apple cider vinegar. Starting in the center, stir the dough until well combined.
- Using a large cookie or ice cream scoop, drop the scones onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Lightly wet hands and gently flatten the tops of the scones. They should be about 1 inch thick.
- Bake 18-20 minutes, until the tops are golden brown. Cool on wire rack.