Perfect lemon blueberry scones – so easy you can make them in one bowl and just drop them on a baking sheet! A simple gluten-free scone recipe with almond flour and honey that's paleo and dairy-free. Try them with tea for a royal treat!
Easy Blueberry Scones with Almond Flour
I love these easy lemon blueberry scones. Made with almond flour, blueberries, lemon, and honey, they are everything that is good about scones. And they are paleo, gluten-free, dairy-free and refined sugar-free. These scones are amazing with honey butter (I make it with ghee) right out of the oven. Of course, you can use coconut butter for a dairy-free topping.
I used Meyer lemon for these scones today, but regular lemon works just as well. I also used fresh organic blueberries. It's important to use fresh blueberries — frozen blueberries add too much moisture to these scones. And I like a lot of blueberries, they add to the natural sweetness of the almond and honey. Gently fold the blueberries into the batter at the last minute.
The key to this blueberry scone recipe is to keep stirring the flour mixture with the wet ingredients until it forms a dough. At first, it will seem like there is not enough moisture, but if you keep going it will come together into a nice dough. The consistency is similar to biscuit or cookie dough.
It's also important to use superfine blanched almond flour for these grain-free blueberry scones. Do not substitute coconut flour or other gluten-free flour blends as they will not work in this recipe.
After breakfast, I put the rest of the batch into the freezer for another day. These lemon blueberry scones freeze beautifully. To thaw, just put them in a cold oven and turn it on to 300 degrees. (I put a piece of parchment paper right on the oven rack and set the scones on it.) They are warmed through in about 15 minutes. Warm paleo lemon blueberry scones will brighten your day.
This post includes some affiliate links for your convenience (which means if you choose to make a purchase I may be compensated at no additional cost to you).
How to make gluten free scones
Paleo Lemon Blueberry Scones
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Add the almond flour, baking soda, salt, and lemon zest to a large bowl and stir to combine.
- Make a well in the center of the flour mixture and add the wet ingredients. Starting in the center, stir the dough until well combined. Fold in blueberries.
- Using a large cookie or ice cream scoop, drop the scones onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Lightly wet hands and gently flatten the tops of the scones. They should be about 1 inch thick.
- Bake 18-20 minutes, until the tops are golden brown. Cool on wire rack.
More paleo recipes with blueberries and lemon
- Paleo Blueberry Muffins (Video)
- Paleo Peach Blueberry Crisp
- Lemon Poppy Paleo Muffins
- Paleo Blueberry Pie Smoothie
More gluten free scone recipes
- Paleo Cranberry Orange Scones
- Paleo Gingerbread Spice Scones
- Grain-Free Chocolate Chip Brownie Scones
What's your favorite scone flavor? Let me know in the comments below!