This easy cranberry orange scones recipe is made without the traditional flour, butter or heavy cream. For a perfect paleo, gluten-free and dairy-free treat, pair them with your pumpkin spice latte for breakfast or with a cup of tea for an afternoon snack.
I love scones. They're a great not-too-sweet treat for breakfast or with a hot mug of tea in the afternoon. You can make many different versions using this basic gluten-free, grain-free, paleo scone recipe. The flavor inspiration usually comes from the season, or from what's in the pantry.
For this recipe, I had just enough dried cranberries left to make a batch of these cranberry orange scones. I added a little orange zest and orange extract and the resulting scones had the bright, tangy flavor of cranberries with just a hint of orange.
This post includes some affiliate links for your convenience. For more info, read my full disclosure policy here.
How to make cranberry orange scones
This scone recipe is super simple and can be made in one bowl. And to get them in the oven quickly, I skip the rolling out and just drop them on the baking sheet. They're ready to bake in less than 10 minutes.
Whisk the dry ingredients together in a large bowl, then make a well in the center of the almond flour mixture and add the wet ingredients.
When you first start stirring the batter together, it will seem like you don't have enough liquid. Just keep stirring and the dough will come together in a few minutes. Then use a large cookie scoop to drop the scones on a baking sheet and flatten the tops (they will not spread during baking).
Can I freeze gluten-free cranberry orange scones?
These scones freeze beautifully. To serve, defrost and reheat them in the oven. Just put as many scones as you need on a sheet of parchment paper in a cold oven. Turn the oven on to 300 degrees and the scones should be thawed and warmed through in 15-20 minutes.
The cranberry orange scones were perfect with my dairy-free cappuccino this morning. And the rest went into the freezer for another day.
More paleo and gluten free scones
CRANBERRY ORANGE SCONES
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Add the almond flour, baking soda, salt, orange zest and cranberries to a large bowl and stir to combine.
- Make a well in the center of the flour mixture and add the remaining ingredients. Starting in the center, stir the dough until well combined.
- Using a large cookie or ice cream scoop, drop the scones onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Lightly wet hands and gently flatten the tops of the scones. They should be about 1 inch thick.
- Bake 18-20 minutes, until the tops are golden brown. Cool on wire rack.