I love these paleo lemon blueberry scones. With lemon, blueberries, almond and honey, they are everything that is good about scones. And they are gluten-free, grain-free, dairy-free and refined sugar-free. These scones were amazing with honey butter (I make it with ghee) right out of the oven. Of course, you can use coconut butter for a dairy-free topping.
I used Meyer lemon for these scones today, but regular lemon works just as well. I also used fresh organic blueberries. It's important to use fresh blueberries — frozen blueberries add too much moisture to these scones. And I like a lot of blueberries, they add to the natural sweetness of the almond and honey. Gently fold the blueberries into the batter at the last minute.
After breakfast, the rest of the batch went into the freezer for another day. To thaw, just put them in a cold oven and turn it on to 300 degrees. I put a piece of parchment paper right on the oven rack and set the scones on it. They are warmed through in about 15 minutes. Warm paleo lemon blueberry scones will brighten your day.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Add the almond flour, baking soda, salt, and lemon zest to a large bowl and stir to combine.
- Make a well in the center of the flour mixture and add the wet ingredients. Starting in the center, stir the dough until well combined. Fold in blueberries.
- Using a large cookie or ice cream scoop, drop the scones onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Lightly wet hands and gently flatten the tops of the scones. They should be about 1 inch thick.
- Bake 18-20 minutes, until the tops are golden brown. Cool on wire rack.